The RVers Corner
Home Maintenance Articles RV Salvage Free RV Manuals More +

A user writes ...

I've just noticed something on my new-to-me '88 Lance camper:

When plugged in to shore power, if I touch something metal on the camper while being grounded outside the camper, I get shocked (feels like holding a hot 110v wire and ground, only a little less of a shock). Everything electrical that I've tried works on the camper. I'm no electrical wizard, but do own a multi-meter, anybody have advice where to start looking for the leak?

Answer ...

You are getting a shock from the campers metal skin due to incorrect wiring in some part of the system. You can purchase a 110 volt circuit tester for under ten dollars at a Amazon. The device plugs into an electrical outlet and has three lights on it to tell you if there is a problem and where the problem is. Everyone should have one of these to test every campground shore power outlet BEFORE hooking up the coach to the power source.

Does this happen every time? Have you plugged in using an extension cord that may be wired wrong?
Or changed any receptacles or added anything that is screwed into the walls or ceiling?

Also, sometimes a staple or screw works it's way into a wire through road vibrations and shorts the wires to ground. This is a dangerous situation and must be corrected before any further use of the camper.

Reader follow-up ...

Thanks so much for the info and the warning (we just unwittingly used the camper this weekend!). I will disconnect the battery when I get home and pick up a tester on the way home to start checking with. The only thing electrical-wise I had done to this point was to put a new deep cycle battery in. I did try switching outlets and going with/without an extension cord. It sounds like I should start with the source circuit (as in maybe there's power in the ground wire already...)? Thanks again....

Follow up to my post last night: There's nothing wrong with the Lance; I picked up a $7 circuit tester at Amazon and plugged it into my garage outlet and found that the outlet has the hot and common wire swapped. Once I found a good outlet and plugged the Lance into it, the shocking was gone.

So now I'm wondering what other house problems I can get solved here...! Thanks again for the help...

Answer ...

Glad to hear you found the problem.

Take that $7 tester with you and test every campsite hookup. You never know who changed the last receptacle and if they did it right!

RV Maintenance

RV maintenance is a subject that every RV owner can relate to! These articles will help you "do-it-yourself" with confidence and with a logical place to start! Each catagory has a list of articles relating to that area. Enjoy! Read now!

RV Tips

RV tips to make your experience more enjoyable! Read more ...

Used RV Parts

RV Salvage yards listed by State and Canada

Information presented on this site is for educational or entertainment purposes only. You are responsible for your own actions should you use any information found on this website.

Disclosure: Advertisements are placed on this website to offset the cost of maintenance and to keep this site free for everyone to use. Owners of this website will receive compensation for products and services purchased through featured advertisements. All claims of actual user results should be considered atypical.

Website Les Doll All rights Reserved