Ford 460 in tank fuel pump - 1994 Itasca 31 ft motorhome

Use this section for questions and answers regarding technical aspects of your RV. Please give us details such as the make and model where applicable and a good description of the problem.

Moderator: Cal

Ford 460 in tank fuel pump - 1994 Itasca 31 ft motorhome

Postby amsariann@shaw.ca » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:12 am

I have a 1994 Itasca 31' motorhome on a Ford Chassis with a 460 engine. Travelling in weather that is 90 degrees or higher, when I slow down for a stop sign, or traffic lights, the fuel vapour locks. Ford addressed this problem with their bulletin TSB 97-23-9 and replaced these fuel pumps in those vehicles still under warranty. Obviously my unit was not one of those that had the fuel pump replaced. Why is it that Ford does not recognize this problem with the units that did not receive or be notified of the problem when they accknowleged it was a FORD problem? This problem affected those motorhomes built between 1989 and 1997 F-53 motohomes. Is there anything I can do to get assistance from Ford to replace this fuel pump? The replacement part numbers are: (1)F6PZ-9H307-DA - Fuel pump and sender assembly: approx $550.00 (2) F7PZ-9A213-BA Jumper harness Kit (vehicles built before 11-26-96 - 3 wire) - approx. $61.00 - (3) F5AZ - 14A099-AA - Heat shrink tubing - approx. $4.00 - and approx. 1.6 hours to install. As you know, labour usually equals the cost of parts, so we are looking at something in the neighourhood of $1000.00, or close to it. FORD should accept this responsibility in ALL of these units as it was a design fault on the part of FORD of Canada. Has anyone else had this problem? How have you resolved it? Thank you all for your time and consideration. Joey
amsariann@shaw.ca

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:14 am

Ford F-53 chassis fuel pump problems are endemic. I think others have beat on Ford's door with this problem and been turned away. Yep, it's an expensive proposition to replace, but make sure they don't replace it with a Ford pump. We fought the problem for over two years and required two tows due to this problem before finally biting the bullet and replacing the rascal. Another of Ford's underwhelming engineering feats. I read of one RV mechanic on the Alaska route that made a small fortune one summer replacing these fuel pumps in the F-53 chassis. :(
Rod Kent

Postby Joe in Tennessee » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:05 pm

Joey,

I experienced fuel pump failure in my 1995 Ford chassis motor home while on an extended trip to Florida. Cost me $1600+ to get back on the road and now my fuel guage shows full all the time.

I wrote to Ford Motor Co. asking for some help on the cost of repairs and received a reply that basically said "Tough s**t". They would not even discuss it!

The cost of a new fuel pump is about $300 and the big expense is the labor. I had a full tank (75 gal) of gas that had to be drained and stored. If you are not in an emergency situation, you probably can save a lot of the expense by shopping around for a mechanic, or do it yourself.

Additionally, I have a plan that I copied from the 'net' on how to eliminate the original pump with another which is mounted on the frame, outside the tank. If you are interested, I can e-mail it to you.

Regardless, if you are experiencing signs of failure, correct the problem now as it will surely get you at the most inopportune time.
If you don't know where you're going, any road you take will get you there!!!
Joe in Tennessee

ford 460 in tank fuel pumps

Postby Joey » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:30 am

I wish to thank you for your replies to my problem question. Seems Ford is not aanxious to keep us as "customers" My sincere thanks to you for the replies, and yes, Joe, I would love to hear more from you - thanks again for your time and consideration- I do appreciate it - Joey
Joey

Adding external pump

Postby Phil Jones » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:42 pm

I wanted to throw in a note on this, since I've been playing around with both of mine in a 1985. If you decide to go with an external one, you will still need to remove the defective in-tank pump. The previous owner of mine did not do so. Problem I had was the external pump pulling though the clogged in tank pump. Level driving under 65 is fine, but uphill the carb needs more fuel, which can't be delivered fast enough. Not sure if this is the same with injection, I assume so.
If you do the work yourself, make sure to use a brass or bronze pin or chisel to remove lock ring. A steel tool could make a spark, and you'd be surprised how much gas is still in the corners of the tank.
Ford should pay, but never will. Warranties are great, recalls are not.
Phil Jones

Return to Technical Questions and Reader responses