All season RV (Travel Trailer/5th wheel), does it exist?

Use this section for questions and answers regarding technical aspects of your RV. Please give us details such as the make and model where applicable and a good description of the problem.

Moderator: Cal

All season RV (Travel Trailer/5th wheel), does it exist?

Postby Izzy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:29 am

I work for an oil drilling company in Canada. The weather can get very cold or very hot (sometimes well below -30 Celsius with the windchill in the winter and well above +30 Celsius in the summer) at the locations I'll be working at. I'm interested in using the RV (travel trailer/5th wheel) at work but also on holidays at the lake or ice fishing in the winter.

At my work site I might be able to hook up to the electrical/propane/diesel and fresh water supply. I would also be able to have my waste water dumped in the trenches that are build for this purpose at the work site.

The current vehicle I own is a sub compact vehicle only capable of towing a small utility trailer and thus I would need to purchase the correct tow vehicle for the RV I choose.

Please answer the following:

1. What RV is capable of extreme weather conditions? (all year use summer, winter, spring and fall)

2. 5th wheel vs Travel trailer? What are the pros and cons of each one?

3. Should I buy new or used? What gives the best value for every dollar spent?

4. If I buy a used RV how old and what do I need to watch out for?

5. If I need to be self sufficient in the RV (no electricity, propane, gas, diesel, or fresh water available) how long will I be able to run the RV (cooking, heating, lighting etc.) before needing to refuel?

6. With the fuel prices going up are there cost effective alternatives for RV's to go green? (vehicles have many new green alternatives to oil based fuels. Bio diesel, gas/electric, hydrogen fuel cells, ethanol etc.)

Thanks to all who reply,

Ismael
Izzy

Postby Hillcountryrambler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm really interested in the replies you will get to these questions.
Hillcountryrambler

Postby Burnerman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:25 am

Hi Izzy
Check out Triple E, we looked at a class A at the Ottawa rv show that they claimed was good for -40C. They also make 5ers & t.t.s & they are made in Winkler Manitoba. www.tripleerv.com
Don
Burnerman

Postby Roy Schmaus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:45 am

I suspect you are here in Alberta and if so you might talk to some of the year round campers at the East of Edson RV park on highway sixteen just East of the Macleod River. They have some interesting stories to tell.

Right now the very cold winter has resulted in a lot of cracked lino due to perimeter gluing and that has been in the news.
Roy Schmaus
Roy Schmaus

Postby Russ Chastain » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:05 am

I have used trailers and not fifth wheels, but the only advantages I know of with a fiver are lack of sway (there's no sway control needed) and
shorter overall length of TV (tow vehicle) + rig.

You need to have a pickup with a special hitch in the bed, and most of the bed isn't very useful for storage, and the hitch can get in the way for hauling stuff when you're not towing.

With a TT (travel trailer), You can use a receiver hitch on the rear of the TV, and use the bed of your truck for storage. I have always had trucks with toppers, so the bed makes a good dry storage area for my stuff. Same is true for a SUV like a Suburban - you get more useful area in your vehicle.

Me, I like TTs. I don't want to give up my truck bed. With a TT I can use all of my truck's storage capacity and still drag my rig around. Can't do that with a fiver.

JMO.

Russ
- Russ
Russ Chastain

all season rig

Postby bajadogman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:42 pm

There is no such animal as "comfortable"rig in Winter...Citation,Okanagon,Triple E are good...aviod the "ultralites" they will disintegrate on rough roads...you will need to run electric heaters full time..so 50 amp rig/service best, or 30amp and extra extension cord for heaters....propane furnaces kill your batteries if not on shorepower...1 would buy used..3years+-..but US have great deals...30-50% cheaper...boondocking...with 4 x 6volt batteries,250-300watts solar,backup Honda 2kw genny, 2500 inverter with 100amp stepcharger...water usage depends on tank size and how frugal you are but a week easy..30lb propane lasts us 3 weeks boon docking[no heater use]...we boondock in Mexico for 6mons winter ,and other than water pickup with groceries we could sit forever with no hookups...re truck choice..diesal is great for heavy rigs/hills...but difference of diesal to gas now does not justify the extra cost...and the new V10;s gas keep up with my Duromax on hills...GOOD LUCK
bajadogman

Postby Tugboat » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:04 pm

Tugboat

Citation

Postby bajadogman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:58 pm

1 own a 2004 Citation,the video clips are good,some improvements made in running gear and finish...however 1 have been in -10c with electric heaters running and still cold...the slide outs esp...open the crockery cupboard in the am and dishes are icecold...
bajadogman

Postby ron buckner » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 pm

This is a facinating subject. We used to advise & prepare rigs for running the Alcan. If your decision is based on towability then I'd opt for the 5th wheel, but as far as temperature control and room utilization goes a TT will work far better. Slide outs and extendable rooms should be avoided, they will be a constant source of heat loss as well as a mechanical nuisence to you'll have to consider chasing every time you move the rig. The expansion/contraction dynamics you'll be subjecting this vehicle to are way beyond anything the coach was designed for. You state you need to be self contained but you might be able to get electrical and water with no worries for waste. that makes this tough, because your not giving us a valid starting point. My advise is KIS*. If it'll work without gizmo's, thats the best way to do it. But with todays technolgy that might be difficult. The more there is to this, the more there is to go wrong.I can tell you we used to advise for hunting group trailer set ups years back when all there was was Propane brought in for the old gravety flow radient heaters. Lp lights and straw bales set around the sides of the rigs to help trap heat. Some would even erect a 2 x 6" tarp over the top of them to kill the wind. Most would cover the exterior of the rigs with 1/2 plywood just to keep the sheet metel from conducting the cold in through the aluminum. Forced air heat was not needed or wanted, for that matter because battery power was limited at best and moving air other then convection caused chill. I admit, Now with solar power, that might've changed a bit. These rigs would get set up and remain operative literally all year long. They lugged everything, and from what I gather, they're still doing it pretty much the same way.
Spent my youth working on RV's with my Dad. I'm just coming back to them now and found my child hood was not a total waste.
ron buckner

Return to Technical Questions and Reader responses