Leak Around TV Antenna - Repair Advice?

Use this section for questions and answers regarding technical aspects of your RV. Please give us details such as the make and model where applicable and a good description of the problem.

Moderator: Cal

Leak Around TV Antenna - Repair Advice?

Postby mitchellwa » Sun May 06, 2007 4:30 pm

I have a small leak around the TV Antenna (standard wing-shape antenna). I plan on removing the old white sealant and resealing around the antenna on the roof the coach.

Are there any internal gaskets/seals that are part of the antenna that I should replace while I'm at it? If so, how difficult is it do?

Thanks.
mitchellwa

Antenna leaking

Postby Hillcountryrambler » Mon May 07, 2007 3:20 am

I also have a leak like this--at least the water is coming in where the handle for adjusting the antenna is mounted on the interior roof.

Has been driving me crazy as I have put sealant all around the antenna and the sucker is still leaking.

So, HELP, please.
Hillcountryrambler

Postby jmerritt » Mon May 07, 2007 12:53 pm

Check the seal where the cable comes through the antenna base as the cable will provide a track for the water to come in. There is a rubber boot that is supposed to seal the cable opening but sometimes the boot slips off, deteriorates with age, etc. I usualy seal the cable passage with polyurethane, push the boot down and try to get the best seal and then coat it with polyurethane especially where the boot contacts the cable.

John :)
jmerritt

Postby Carl » Mon May 07, 2007 2:37 pm

What brand of bat wing antanna do you have..If it is a Winegard, and it is leaking down the raising crank shaft, the "O" (called a Quad Ring) ring on that shaft has deteriated. The instructions for that antanna note that the "Quad Ring" should be lubricated with silicone spray twice a year. If it has not been done, it will tend to leak. Repair kit is RP-4000. Most RV dealers should have the parts. Or you can get information and parts from Winegard at 1 800 288-8094.
If it is leaking down the coax cable, pull the weather boot and silicone under it, then put the boot back down allowing some of the silicone to squeese out the top. Good luck. Carl
Carl

Re: Leak Around TV Antenna - Repair Advice?

Postby Carl » Mon May 07, 2007 2:51 pm

mitchellwa wrote:I have a small leak around the TV Antenna (standard wing-shape antenna). I plan on removing the old white sealant and resealing around the antenna on the roof the coach.

Are there any internal gaskets/seals that are part of the antenna that I should replace while I'm at it? If so, how difficult is it do?

Thanks.

I replaced my antanna about a year ago..Not a hard job. In order to pull the antanna, you will need to take the handle and cranking mechanisim loose inside the Mhome. If it is a Winegard for the set screw in the handle, use a 3/32 Allen Wrench. Then go on top and pull the screws and the antanna should lift up. According to the instructions, "Apply a non-hardening sealing compound such as Butyl caulking between the Base Plate and roof. Do not get sealing compund on bearing surface between base plate and Rotating Gear Housing. Do not paint top of Base Plate or around Rotating Gear Housing." Carl
Carl

antenna leak

Postby Hillcountryrambler » Mon May 07, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks guys for the replies Will post how the repair goes.
Hillcountryrambler

Postby Russ Chastain » Sun May 13, 2007 6:55 pm

If you have a rubber roof, be certain that you ONLY use compatible cleaners and sealants on it. Dicor makes most (if not all) of the material used for RV rubber roofs, and they have guidelines to follow to ensure you don't inadvertently destroy your rubber roof. See the link below for some of their sealant & maintenance products:

http://www.dicor.com/roofmaintenance.html
- Russ
Russ Chastain

Return to Technical Questions and Reader responses