can this be true????

Please use the general area for all non-technical related questions, comments, or other chit-chat. Thanks!

Moderator: Cal

can this be true????

Postby jaaybird » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:34 am

Our middle son just received in the mail his
MEDICAL EXAMINATION REPORT SUBMISSION LETTER
from the California DMV for his "green card" reminder for his
commercial license.

I am SHOCKED by the following paragraph on the letter !

Paragraph 2:

Drivers of firefighting equipment, FIFTH WHEEL TRAVEL TRAILERS
may submit Form DL-51 or Physicians Health Report Form DL-546 A

Fifth Wheelers in OUR CLUB need a MEDICAL?

What am I missing?

jb
jaaybird

Postby Hank85713 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:24 am

yes I have heard this, also dont plan on pulling a 5r with another trailer in tow.

seems that some think you need a special license for everything and with this being a potential cash cow for the state look for anybody towing anything to need a special license. I understand from reading a magazine that you can be fined for using a pickup as a pickup! Seems they tag them either as a car type vehicle with no ability to carry a load, or as a commercial vehicle with no ability to be used as a passenger type vehicle. again I read this in a truck magazine so if you live in calif you should know.

But with all the stuff they have in calif, that is why I dont plan on visiting that state any time soon.
Hank85713

Postby jaaybird » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Hank!

You misread it!

Medical for ANY fith wheel not pulling another.

Regular pick up pulling ONE fifth wheel!

jb
jaaybird

Postby Hank85713 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:46 pm

jay no I didnt misread, I added to it. I was talking to a guy this past summer who is a fireman out there someplace and he was having to go back to Laughlin or someplace and pickup his extra car/truck as he he used it to tow his boat/jet ski while in calif and then left it wherever so he could double tow here in AZ!

He is the one that told me what a crappy licensing system CA has. He said that to add the extra trailer would cause him more heartache than just using the extra vehicle. He did say something about the license system, but I dont remember the specifics.
Hank85713

Postby Cal » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Ask DMV for a clarification then let us know.I suspect that the commercial license is the key.
Want to have fun ask them why Ca allows motorcycles to ride between rows of stopped or slow moving cars when it is Illegal for more than one motor vehicle to occupy the same space on a road?
Watch the squirming. LOL
Cal

Postby Hank85713 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:43 am

I dont think or at least hope they dont require a CDL for RV's, but I think they have a special license that has a medical requirement. If they say you have to have a CDL that puts the owner in a different situation then having a private class whatever. I have a Cl B cdl, although I do not drive a commercial vehicle rather a school bus. I have to have additional ratings for 1 a bus, 2 to carry passengers, but am still subject to CDL requirements for physicals, drug testing etc.

I may try a search to see what they require but again the folks in LALA Land have too many strange requirements. Now if you have a "smokey" diesel you can get a ticket, they just dont know when to stop it seems.
Hank85713

Postby Hank85713 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:05 am

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

Exceptions to the CDL requirements are:
•Persons exempted under Health and Safety Code §25163.
•Persons operating a vehicle in an emergency situation at the direction of a peace officer.
•Drivers who tow a fifth-wheel travel trailer over 15,000 pounds GVWR or a trailer coach over 10,000 pounds GVWR, when the towing is not for compensation. Drivers must have a noncommercial Class A license.
•Drivers of housecars over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement.
•Drivers of only fire fighting vehicles or buses used to travel to and from the scene of any emergency situation. Drivers need either a Class A or B license with a fire fighter restriction. A fire fighter may add a "P" endorsement if the bus is owned by a federal or state agency, a city or county fire department, or a volunteer fire department and when the driving is restricted to operating buses as defined in CVC §15250.6(g). All fire fighters, whether they have a CDL or a Class A or B fire fighter-restricted driver license, are subject to commercial driver sanctions.
•A fire fighter with a restricted license who transports compressed air tanks for breathing apparatuses that do not exceed 2,500 pounds.
•Noncivilian military personnel operating military vehicles.
•Implement of husbandry operators who are not required to have a driver license.

Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Noncommercial Class A License Requirements

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt3.htm

Examinations:
•Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers Law test. You must pass the law test based on the information contained in this booklet. You may take the test at any DMV field office. You may make an Appointment(s) online at www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-921-1117, DMV's 24/7 voice recognition service.
•Visual Safety Check. Before the pre-trip inspection test, you must demonstrate that the turn signals, brake lights, horn, and emergency flashers are working. This is not part of your pre-trip test. If any of these items are not working properly or are missing, your driving test will be postponed.
•Pre-Trip inspection test. The pre-trip test is a knowledge test. You must identify and explain the features and equipment on the vehicle which should be inspected before operating the vehicle. If your vehicle is equipped with air brakes, you must demonstrate and explain how the air brake system works. Inoperable, missing, or unsafe equipment will postpone the driving test.
•Skills tests. Skills tests are designed to demonstrate your skill in stopping, backing in a straight line, completing a right turn around a cone or marker, and backing into a camping space. These tests are done at low speed and test how well you can maneuver the vehicle. You may make an appointment online at www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-921-1117, DMV's 24/7 voice recognition service.
•Driving test. The driving test includes entering and exiting a freeway, freeway driving with lane changes, right and left turns into one-way and two-way traffic, railroad crossings, driving on a grade or steep hill, etc. You may make an appointment by calling 1-800-777-0133. Online appointments are not available for driving tests.
•Health Questionnaire. A Health Questionnaire (DL 546) form is required and must be given to DMV for review and approval before your license is issued and then every two years after that. The Health Questionnaire expires two years from your signature date. Failure to maintain a valid Health Questionnaire form with DMV will mean that your license is valid only for Class C and, if endorsed, for Class M1 or M2 vehicles. The Health Questionnaire forms are available online at www.dmv.ca.gov.

Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Recreational Trailer Endorsement

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.
•There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
•You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
•You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
•You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
•No other tests are required.
Hank85713

Postby jaaybird » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks Hank!
jaaybird

Return to General Area